Sunday, October 19, 2014

Come together!

Things came together today.



When I put the aft wall in I used a bunch of butyl. Well ...  It's hard to compress that stuff - and it gets harder with the cool weather. I wasn't happy with the fit - it was 1/8" proud and I tossed and turned at night over this. Today, I loosened everything on the aft board. I removed the aft wall to cornerspost screws, and loosened the pins. I used the multitool (ie Feinmaster - but Harbor Freight version) with a scraper and pulled most of the butyl out of the joints. This worked pretty good - the hear from the vibrating blade softened the butyl and it worked its way out. Then I tried to find a way to push the aft board in. I tried wedging a 2x4 - nope. I tried my hydraulic floor jack - it won't work on its side. Finally I got the 1-1/2" x 2-1/2"  x 7' piece of white oak that I had milled for deck beam sisters, and winched it home. Worked a charm. I again have a nice tight fit as when I dry fitted the pieces. I injected epoxy in the screw holes and sprayed the screws w PTFE lube and tightened down the port side. It's tight - what a relief. Then I hole sawed through the roof for the starboard side pins, and dry fitted the pins. Pretty happy about the fit - the picture above is the aft wall. the middle piece of the corner post and the side wall.. 

Here's a view from aft
Everything is in place and tightened to get used to their new home. 

All the lumber on top of the aft cabin is tomorrow's list. Make new corner post - 2 pieces - the interior piece is fine. (v3), the interior nailer board - all fitted, the mahogany dutchman for the starboard deck beam - cut v2 , the white oak deck beam sister - good, the starboard coaming box teak top - ready for finishing, the 11x1" mahogany board is for deck beam/backing plate patches at the Sampson post, the rest of this board will make up the fairing blocks for the coaming boxes - more on that later. 

So I'll be cutting lumber, cutting and drilling holes for portlights, treating all the new and old lumber with Smiths CPES, and working to finish these two walls   Its forceast to rain Tuesday - but a sunny week after. Still (barely) warm enough to do the epoxy and fiberglass work. 

Beautiful pink and blue sunset tonight. 



No comments:

Post a Comment