Tuesday, October 7, 2014

Aft cabin starboard side is out.

Mullet and I are back at the boat for a couple if days. The forecast was for showers today, but it held out till the sunset.

Today, I removed the starboard aft cabin wall. 



It came out with no problems, and was in surprisingly good shape. The previous owner had excavated about a foot from the forward end and covered it with a bit of Marinetex. The aft end had rot for a few inches from the corner post - but in between it looked great. Instead of repairing both ends, I'll replace text side. The roof looks good except for 9" of  the ack corner. I'll put a lap joint in and tie  it into the aft edge. The forward bulkhead also looks good except som deterioration in the first 2 inches. The forward corner post looks good - but it's fir - not mahogany! The deck looks good. I'll poke around a bit to see if I need to do anything with the front corner. 

The moisture meter readings were consistent with what I wad seeing. The new okume reads 11. The new mahogany reads 12. The teak coaming box top reads 10. All of the old fir ply reads'15, the old mahogany reads 12-15. I mapped out the readings as a baseline. The deck beam that I have been soaking in CPES read 12-15. Not bad! 

Got everything cleaned up and creamy forger new side, covered up with the tarp, and 10 minutes later it started raining. Nice thunderstorm now. 

I've got a few odds and ends to check out tomorrow, then we'll head home with the old starboard side and cut a new one and drill the rod holes. 


No comments:

Post a Comment